Anas Festival

Rogaška Slatina Well-being, Relaxation and Health from the Source

Spomenik
 

A Peek into the History


The area of Rogaška Slatina was already know by Celts and Romans, which is proven by the excavations and the Roman road, which led past Lemberg and Rogatec from Celeia to Petovium. A bronze roman needle with six heads was found in the direct proximity of the spring Tempel, and some Celtic coins in the nearby Kostrivnica. 





The healing powers of water were known even before the written mention in the year 1572 by many locals and also travellers, who spread the news about the magical healing powers of the water throughout Štajerska and further on. Today it is said by many, that the springs were discovered by a Croatian ban Peter Zrinjski, one of the most powerful land owners in Europe at the time. In the year 1665 he was suppose to be hunting in the area of Rogaška Slatina. He suffered from kidney failure so the local farmers told him to drink from the spring in the forest, near the Church of St. Cross. Zrinjski’s health miraculously improved and along with it brought fame to the so called saint-cross mineral water.
In the year 1803 the land Estates under the lead of the provincial governor Count Attems bought the lands around the springs from their previous owners and ever since, that year is known as the year of the establishment of the Spa resort, which got its first headmaster and the first regular doctor. In that year the Spa resort could only take in around 20 – 25 guests. By then the sale of mineral water increased and people were able to buy it in Austria, Hungary, Italy, Grease, and even in Egypt. During the golden age that followed many of the ruling families visited, some of which are the families Habsburg, Bonaparte, Bourbon, Obrenović and Karađorđević, members of high nobility like Windischgraetzi and Liechtensteini and many other important guests such as Bishop Strossmayer and the great English traveller G. Richard Burton.

The selected Spa resort public, who had a rich social life, was entertained by the top artists, one of which was also the Hungarian pianist Franz Liszt. At the beginning of the 20th century, under the leadership of a geologist and a spring inspector from Karlovi Vari, Dr. J. Knetta, the most mineralised water was found and named Donat. Because of the high content of magnesium it is a unique healing mineral water, which helps prevent or mitigate metabolic diseases and diabetes. 


An outstanding urban designee of the Health Spa complex in Rogaška Slatina, which was made as early as the first half of 19th century, represents a wide classicistic park axis, surrounded with palaces and the Temple. In the park a statue was built in the year 1828 to commemorate the founder of the healing-centre, provincial governor of Štajerska, Ferdinand Attems. Today it is known as the richest figurative classicistic monument in Slovenia. This is the place, where in 1952 the first deep borehole was made and the mineral water, which is called Donat Mg kept Rogaška Slatina famous for being the biggest and most known healing centre in Slovenia and around the world.

The legend of the legendary water – of Pegasus

The legend of the creation of the Rogaška springs is written and engraved in copper in a German book Roitschocrene from the year 1687. The image in the picture shows the God Apollo telling Pegasus to hit the ground near Rogatec and the church of St. Cross with his hoof and with that open Roitschocrene, the springs of Rogaška. The story resembles a legend from the Greek mythology, where Pegasus by hitting the ground with his hoof opened the spring of Hippocrene. But in our legend, Apollo says: “Here where you stand there is a source of health and a true power of God. Instead of drinking from the Hipocrene, drink from the Roitschocrene spring which lies before you.”
 That is how Pegasus became the symbolic creator of Rogaška’s mineral water and a symbol of Rogaška Slatina, and it is also portrayed in the crest of the city. Also, in the close proximity of the Spa resort itself, a Pegasus platform was built in the year 2008.

        


Chronology

1676 The oldest house, later Old Direction, built by lord of the castle, Courty
1732 The statue of St. Nepomuk was built
1810 The first SPA of Slatina, Badehous, demolished in 1903
1811 First water pumping system of Rogaška Slatina, demolished in 1852
1812 First healing centre, demolished in 1856
1819 pavilion Tempel (ex-pub of mineral water, abandoned in 1908)
1828 Attems monument, moved to its current position below Aleksander Hotel in 1991
1828 Discovery of the Forest spring (spring below Janina) 
1843 Styria Hotel with  Styria I SPA
1844 Inside promenade Vandelban, demolished in 1981
1844 Second Healing Centre, destroyed in a fire in 1910
1848 Strossmayer’s House
1851 Slatina house (Villa Moller)
1855 Zagreb house with a water pumping system, hotel in 1905, renovation of the hotel 1988
1861 icehouse (above Trieste house, today it is a  vantage point)
1862 The new St. Cross church
1877 Fountain in front of the Healing centre
1904 secession Hydrotherapy, no longer operating
neo-roman chapel of St. Ana, renovated in 1926 by architect Plečnik
1905 secession Ljubljana house (Grazerheim)
1906 secession Soča Hotel 
1098 secession Trieste Hotel (White Cross)
1910/1912 Third Healing Centre/extension of the third Healing Centre 
1914 Railway house – Občinski dom Hotel (today the City Hall of Rogaška Slatina)
1917 Beograd house - Villa Golf
1925 Weather house
1938 Slovenski dom Hotel
1954 Monument  NOB (National Liberation War) in central park, architect Vinko Glanz
1964 New 12 storey Therapeutic building
1967 New drinking hall of mineral water
1972 New water pump system
1974 Donat Hotel
Sports centre
1982 Sava Hotel
1983 Monument to Boris Kidrič in front of Terapija
1990 Rogaška Slatina pronounced a city
Skiing on Janina

Source: Vardjan, Franc: Rogaška Slatina a Walk through Time (buildings and parks), 2004.