Rogaška Slatina Well-being, Relaxation and Health from the Source

Spomenik
 

Sacred Attractions


Parish church of St. Cross, Rogaška Slatina 


On the same spot, where a small Roman church stood , and was first mentioned in 1304, today’s neo-Romanic parish church was built in 1866. The cornerstone for the new church was blessed by bishop Slomšek, who encouraged the construction of the church very much. The new church was blessed by prince-bishop Jakob Maksimilian Stepišnik on October 16th, 1964. The guests of the Spa resort Rogaška Slatina (bishops Strossmayer and Slomšek) and the locals also helped with the construction. The plans for the church were made by Joseph Shöble from Graz. The layout of the church is in shape of a cross. Inside the church there are three altars, the main altar of St. Cross and the two side altars, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Joseph. The old church was demolished even before the construction of the new one. Its inventory, except for the organ and monstrance, was not preserved.  
In the archives of the parish of St. Cross some interesting details were preserved. Among other things it says that a lot of the local people lived for a hundred years. The reason was supposed to be regular drinking of mineral water.

The church of Mary the ascended in Tržišče

Late-gothic church is furnished with baroque inventory. They named it Mary of the Wishes, because Mary of Tržišče is in the old guides described as recommended for heart problems. The big altar is a masterpiece of the workshop Mersi from Rogatec. The side altars also belong among the so called golden altars, which prove that almost all churches in the area of Rogaška Slatina are a sign of the local creativity.  The Church of St. Mary in Tržišče is an ending point to almost a 200-year old footpath, the most popular footpath of the Healing-centre visitors, which leads from the heart of the Healing-centre over Janina to a lonely little hill of the roman church.

The Church of St. Mohor in Fortunat, Male Rodne


A late-gothic church in the small village of Male Rodne south from Rogaška Slatina was built at the end of the 15th century. Experts claim that it is famous basically because of its golden altar, which is one of the most beautiful in Slovenia. The main altar from the year 1691 belongs to a series of gilded altars, typical for Alpine and pre-Alpine lands.

The Gril chapel on Boč

It is situated on the hillside of Boč in Cerovec. In the early 1930s the of the house of the Gril Homestead, Miha, got very ill and made a promise to build a chapel if he ever gets better. Because his please was heard, he did exactly that and close to his home built a beautiful building, which soon became known as the Gril chapel. Later on the farm perished and got new owners, but the chapel stayed the Gril chapel and is still a very popular attraction due to the trail that leads past it from Cerovec to Boč and is used by many locals and other hikers.

The church of St. Trinity, Prnek

The church was most likely built at the end of the 16th or the beginning of the 17th century. It is a simple stone building with a rich golden altar and a pulpit with statues of the apostles and Jesus Christ. Surrounding the church is a wall and tower, which prove that during the attack of the Turkish, this was an enclosed camp. From the year 1823 there is a cemetery below the church that is why this is a cemetery church.

Parish church of St. Mary – Čestohovsko Holy mother of Kostrivnica

The baroque church with an extremely divided layout was built in 1768. Experts classify it as one of the buildings with a current facade and also a very diverse interior. You will be moved by sunlight surrounded roman painting of Mary Čestohovska, which was brought from Poland in 1750. The altar was brought in 1784 from Alojzij’s church in Maribor. It was made by a sculptor Jože Holcinger from Maribor, who belongs among the top of Slovenian baroque artists. The church has five altars: a main altar and four side altars, which were built by Franc Kotnik in 1859.

The church of St. Margaret above Glažuta

The church is a humble late-gothic subsidiary, which was probably slightly renovated in the 17th century.  Simple exterior and interior connect it with traditional architecture. There used to be a so-called “Glažuta” (glass-factory) beneath the church, founded by Count Attems. From the forests above the church wood was brought for the glass—factory needs and the stone, which locals called “špehar” (špeh=bacon) and was used for melting into glass. The glass was a specific brown colour and was used mostly for making bottles for mineral water.  

The church of St. Nicholas on Ravno pod Bočem

The church is surrounded by landscape park Boč with protected and rare flora. It was most likely built in the beginning of the 16th century. Her simple stone walls are covered and enriched by slate roof. 

The church of St. Lenart, Drevenik


The church above the village Kostrivnica, which leans on the hillside in the middle of vineyards and orchards, was built in the 14th century. The initiative for its building came from Counts of Celje. It is decorated with typical elements of gothic county chapels. This church is also a harmony of gothic and baroque creativity. The path to the church is simple and leads from the centre of the village past the primary school. This church is the oldest church in Rogaška Slatina.

The church of St. Rosalie, Gabernik

It was built in the year 1862 and blessed by bishop Slomšek on his way from the Healing-centre. This was the bishop’s last holy work. The church is decorated with a rich and quality main altar and two side altars also built in the 18th century.

The parish church St. Florijan

It was built in 1658, renovated in 1930 and since then it does not have any true art history value anymore. The exceptions are the two baroque side altars and a painting of St. Martin, painted by Anton Lerchinger from Rogatec.

The church on Ložno – the church of St. Mary Loretto 

The church was built in a baroque style in the middle of the 18th century and has three altars. In the 19th century its interior was painted by a painter Tomaž Fantoni, who is also the author of two of the altars. From the top of the ridge one can enjoy the beautiful view of Posotelje on the south. The church is also known by the old linden trees that grow near it.